Monday 6 February 2012

Crazy Night of Conquering the World

Last night I got an invitation to go to a neighbors house to play his favorite board game. I must be honest and tell you it has been a number of years since I have played a board game, but I was intrigued by the description. It was called Axis and Allies and I was told it was something like Risk only a lot more involved. I like Risk, so I was interested, so off I went with another couple neighbors and we sat down for our lesson on how to play. The description that I got was accurate, it was way more involved than Risk, in fact the instructions for how to play took nearly two hours to explain. Finally we were ready to set up the board, which only has a couple hundred little pieces, this took another 20 minutes or so and we were playing. Now it might seem all harmless, 4 neighbor guys sitting around playing a game of world domination, but when 2 of them have German as their mother tongue and 2 of us have English as ours, there can be a lot of behind your back strategizing going on. In the end the game took a couple of hours to play with my team, the Allies, coming out as victor. It was a good night of entertainment and I was warned that it doesn't always end as fast as this game did. In fact there have been some games in the past that have gone on for days at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment