Tuesday 14 February 2012

Canoeing in Cashibo

Last evening I took two of my daughters out to Cashibococha to go canoeing. Now it had been a few year for me since I had done any canoeing and it had been even long for the girls. We borrowed a canoe from some friends who live on the cocha and we set out. At first I was relieved to see that I still had the touch when it came to paddling and steering which was good because the girls lack of paddling told me they were just along for the ride. After a while, Sarah started to hint to the fact that she wanted to go back to shore. I tried to ignore her and kept taking us to more interesting places, but she insisted. After about a half hour I guided us back to shore and Sarah got out. She went to play with our friends the Brocks, and Hannah and I headed back out.
     Once we got to the other side of the bay there were many trees in the water. The water is rising now because of all the rain so it floods way back into the trees. While exploring the trees in the water we noticed that Sarah was jumping off the back deck of the house into the water with her friends. Hannah and I found a tree that had hundreds of flat round seed pods that she recognized as being used in local jewelry making. We collected a few to try drying at home and headed out onto the big part of the lake. We met some indians who were paddling in the dugout canoes. It made me wish I knew how to make my own cedar strip canoe so that I could show them and offer to help them make one if they wanted. Maybe a future ministry opportunity there. It started to thunder so we headed back into shore and watched the kids jump for a while. Just before dark the rains came so we got in the car and headed back home.
   I really found it relaxing to be out on the water again but I also discovered some muscles that had not been used in a while. I think that canoeing on the cocha could be a favorite evening or weekend activity of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment